Murder in an Irish Bookshop Book Review

Murder in an Irish Bookshop (An Irish Village Mystery) 
By Carlene O'Connor
Published by Kensington, February 23, 2021

Review
I finished Murder in an Irish Bookshop a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't want to write this review; once it's written, all that's left is waiting for the next one. And I can't wait! The Irish Village Mystery series is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I particularly like the blend of professional and personal; since they're in such a small town, Siobhan is an integral part of the community in her own right, not just as a garda. And in typical small town style, she knows everyone's business. The whole tone of the investigations is serious and professional, but human (they interview some witnesses in a pub in order to get them talking, for example, albeit without alcohol). As subplots, you have Siobhan's family dramas and her love life; there is substance to these stories.

Murder in an Irish Bookshop is delightful because of its bibliophiles and author drama. The mystery is well constructed, as I've come to expect from O'Connor. A visiting author is found murdered in a newly-opened bookshop, and the suspect list fluctuates as the investigation unfolds. I won't get into details and spoil it for you; know it's a good one. One of my favorite aspects is the relationship between the bookshop owners. Let's just say that one of them thinks displaying genre fiction in (clean) toilets is a reasonable concession to his partner, who wants to sell more than literary fiction and poetry. I hope we see more of them in future books. The newest garda as well; what I believe is foreshadowing has me hopeful that Garda Dabiri will become a prominent character and friend to Siobhan. 

If you like cozies, this is a series to read. If you haven't read cozies yet, the Irish Village Mystery series is an excellent place to start!

More: 

Note: A review copy was provided upon request for the purpose of an authentic review.

Comments