May Day Book Review

May Day (Seekers Book 1) 
By Josie Jaffrey
Published Summer 2020

Review
May Day is a gripping murder mystery set in the same universe as Jaffrey's other vampire series (Solis Invicti). It takes place in the present day, before the events of the other series. The focus is on Jack Valentine, who works to keep the existence of vampires a secret. When several humans are publicly killed on major holidays and the evidence indicates a vampire, the vampire government fears a serial killer. It is Jack and her partner Cam who investigate.

I mentioned in my review of Killian's Dead that I disliked Jack. As I read May Day, however, my opinion changed. She is much more relatable and realistic (except the vamp bit). And she doles out some vigilante justice that is oh-so-satisfying. Worth noting: she's bisexual.

What absolutely delighted me was Cam's role. He was my favorite character in the other two series, and I am so happy to see him again! His background is alluded to in the other series, and now readers get to glimpse it and get to know him better. Also, it's interesting to know where he will end up, hundreds of years down the line. I am interested to see how he gets there!

The development of the mystery was perfect for this fan of cozy mysteries and Sherlock Holmes. The investigation proceeds intelligently and unexpectedly. I didn't figure out the killer until Jack was en route to apprehend the guilty party. There are a couple of subplots that did not go as I expected, but made perfect sense when we got to the end. And what an end it was! Total cliffhanger. 

Since finishing the other two series some time ago, I've been eager for another book in this universe. Now that I've finished May Day, I think I might be even more impatient for the next installment! I don't know what to expect, but I know it will be good!

A gripping murder mystery, a dash of romance, and some vigilante justice doled out by a bisexual vampire make May Day a unique and captivating read.

Extra:
Josie Jaffrey's website: https://www.josiejaffrey.com/

My reviews of Jaffrey's books:
The Blood Prince

Note: Review copies of Killian's Dead and May Day were provided in exchange for honest reviews.

Comments