Fourteen Ways of Looking at Jellyfish Book Review

Fourteen Ways of Looking at Jellyfish
Written by Carole Boston Weatherford
Illustrated by Bagram Ibatoulline
Published by Candlewick

Mom's Review

I can easily see why Fourteen Ways of Looking at Jellyfish is getting such high praise. And I'm going to add to that. Weatherford and Ibatoulline do an incredible job of offering 14 distinct viewpoints, ranging from jellyfish in Japanese folklore accompanied by a traditional style of art to emergency sting response illustrated in the style from comics' golden age to scientific classification with highly detailed realistic drawings. If you didn't know better, you might think the book was illustrated by 14 different artists! What I love about this picture book is how it prompts the reader to consider how one views the world, not just jellyfish. Readers can easily see how different viewpoints offer quite different understandings of the that world. The range of perspectives and art styles prompts reflection and imagination; young readers are offered much to consider. I'm jumping on the Fourteen Ways bandwagon and recommending it!

Comments