This House Will Feed Book Review

This House Will Feed
By Maria Tureaud   
Published by Kensington

Mom's Review

First of all, I learned a fair amount of Irish history from this book, it's back matter, and further research. I feel like my history classes failed me in teaching me, "The potatoes rotted and the Irish died." This House Will Feed sets a thriller against the backdrop of Irish starvation and English abuse. Our main character is plucked from a workhouse to impersonate a deceased woman who is set to inherit money that will support an Irish village and keep them from starvation. Sounds pretty good, right? Wrong, of course! This is a thriller, and our main character can tell that things are just off in the manor she is inhabiting. As the plot unfolds, we learn more about how she came to be in the workhouse in the first place, the truth behind why her family perished, and what goes on in the attic that is locked tight. Tureaud weaves a compelling, edge-of-your-seat tale that is both heartbreaking, satisfying, educating, and frightening. The setting and characters came alive as I read - I was transported to 1848, Ireland. This House Will Feed was absolutely stunning and I stayed up way too late to finish reading it, but it was absolutely worth it! I cannot recommend this historical thriller highly enough.

Comments