Piper at the Gates of Dusk Book Review

Piper at the Gates of Dusk (From the World of Chaos Walking)
By Patrick Ness
Published by Candlewick Press

Mom's Review


Wow! I could not put down Piper at the Gates of Dusk! I will admit that I didn't realize that it was connected to another series of books, and I was feeling a little dumb when I realized it. Here is what happened: I was reading the first chapter and thought, "This sounds like a movie I saw." I looked up the movie, saw it was based on a book, and saw that the book was part of a series that preceded this one. BUT, not having read the previous books did nothing to detract from my enjoyment. You can ABSOLUTELY go in cold and still love it.

Piper at the Gates of Dusk
follows two teen boys who see terrible monsters arrive on their planet (to which they humans are new as a species), snatch people, and disappear. Political intrigue, trans-phobia, and xenophobia thwart their efforts to warn the adults governing their town. They are not disbelieved by family and friends, however, and those who are able work to solve the mystery and protect lives. Action and mystery-packed, this sci-fi YA novel delves into serious topics as it offers a fast-paced, exciting ride. There is a bit of a cliff-hanger ending, so I am eager for the next installment. I would unreservedly recommend Piper to teens/tweens looking for sci-fi or dystopian reads. Five stars!

Comments