Louder Than Hunger
By John Schu
Published by Candlewick Press
Mom's Review
I was a little uncertain about Louder Than Hunger before reading it - I was interested in reading about Jake and his struggle with anorexia but I usually dislike novels in verse. I am so glad that the format didn't stop me. Louder Than Hunger is a powerful story about mental health, struggle, healing, and relationships. Written as notebook entries during his stay in a recovery center, the story exposes the harsh thoughts our narrator has about himself. We see his experience first hand (and while the story isn't nonfiction, Schu does draw on his own experiences). It is painful, informative, and feels authentic. Readers will come away changed - perhaps they will feel more able to discuss their own mental health or maybe they can see another with greater compassion. Schu offers a heartfelt author's note after he end's the anorexia chapter of Jake's life and then provides resources for young people who are themselves needing help or know someone who does. This is a very short review because all you really need to know is that Louder than Hunger is an one of the most moving teen books I've read and I strongly recommend it for high school or possibly middle school students. It is timely and thought-provoking. I read it in one sitting.
By John Schu
Published by Candlewick Press
Mom's Review
I was a little uncertain about Louder Than Hunger before reading it - I was interested in reading about Jake and his struggle with anorexia but I usually dislike novels in verse. I am so glad that the format didn't stop me. Louder Than Hunger is a powerful story about mental health, struggle, healing, and relationships. Written as notebook entries during his stay in a recovery center, the story exposes the harsh thoughts our narrator has about himself. We see his experience first hand (and while the story isn't nonfiction, Schu does draw on his own experiences). It is painful, informative, and feels authentic. Readers will come away changed - perhaps they will feel more able to discuss their own mental health or maybe they can see another with greater compassion. Schu offers a heartfelt author's note after he end's the anorexia chapter of Jake's life and then provides resources for young people who are themselves needing help or know someone who does. This is a very short review because all you really need to know is that Louder than Hunger is an one of the most moving teen books I've read and I strongly recommend it for high school or possibly middle school students. It is timely and thought-provoking. I read it in one sitting.
Comments
Post a Comment