Hollow Book Review

Hollow
By Taylor Grothe
Published by Peachtree Teen

Mom's Review

I don't know what is going on, but queer autistic teens sure are being targeted in the YA thrillers I've been reading lately. In Hollow, which was an absolute adrenaline rush, Cassie reunites with old friends when her mom moves the two of them back to her hometown after a stint in New York. The reunited companions embark on a tense backpacking trip that is supposed to bring them closer and allow them to address old wounds. But of course this is a thriller, so it all goes wrong. Hollow gets progressively creepier when Cassie is separated from the group during a storm and rescued by an artists' commune on the mountain. Cassie finally feels accepted for who she is, does not feel the pressure to reshape herself to fit a mold, but is unsettled by the community nonetheless. I won't spoil Hollow for you, but I will say that I did not see the ending coming. I have so many questions and am curious to know what happens to Cassie next.

I would like to highlight something Grothe did exceptionally well and that set this book apart for me: portray the inner depth of a teen girl, the tangle of thoughts she has, and the effort it takes to try and figure out how to make all the correct choices.

Comments