Murder on an Irish Farm Book Review

Murder on an Irish Farm (An Irish Village Mystery)

By Carlene O'Connor
Expected publication by Kensington Books: March, 2022

Review
What distinguishes a cozy mystery for me among the saturated market? The characters. If I can slowly get to know a character over several books, if that character is multifaceted, and if I would want to befriend her (it's gotta be a her), then she stands out. And Siobhan O'Sullivan stands out. In Murder on an Irish Farm, Siobhan demonstrates her unique blend of fierce and feminine, professional and girly, as she postpones her wedding to investigate a decades-old murder that was brought to light the morning of her wedding day. Between interviewing suspects and celebrating a "hen night" (context clues let me deduce that it's a bachelorette party), she takes time to give her younger siblings the care and parenting they need. Siobhan is far from perfect, but she is human and feels real when I read her. And she is why I like the Irish Village series and will keep coming back for more. And I may as well mention that the secondary characters are also developed nicely, the plot is exciting, and the setting is charming. Murder on an Irish Farm is one of my favorites in the series precisely because of the setting. The old dairy farm lends itself well to imagination, with rolling fields and beautiful sky I can see in my mind. An investigation in such an idyllic place is cozy indeed. I continue to recommend the series to those who enjoy cozy mysteries.

Note: A review copy was provided upon request for the purpose of an honest review. All thoughts are my own.

Comments