Christmas, Here I Come! Book Review

Christmas, Here I Come!

Written By D. J. Steinberg
Illustrated by Laurie Stansfield
Published by Grosset and Dunlap, October 12, 2021

Review
After opening the mail, T wanted to know if he could look at Christmas, Here I Come! Of course! As he read, he commented to me that Santa Claus has other names (like Kris Kringle), asked what snickerdoodles were, laughed about the warning against fruitcake consumption, and expressed astonishment at the gingerbread skyscraper – "Wow, their mom must be really talented!"Afterwards, I asked what he thought of "the Christmas poetry book." His response was, "It's not just poems. Bobby also writes three letters to Santa. It's pretty good. There are stickers in the back! And there's a First Grade, Here I Come! and a Hanukkah, Here I Come! book!" 

We have two Shel Silverstein collections of poetry, but they don't get read much. T seemed pretty into Christmas, Here I Come! I attribute that to how comfortable holding the book is, how bright and fun the illustrations are, and the fact that the short poems rhyme. I don't know where he got the idea that poems should use rhyme, but he has expressed a preference for rhyming poetry. I also read this aloud; it is mostly iambic pentameter and true rhymes, making for a smooth read-aloud with no stumbling blocks. I still cannot forgive the author who shall remain nameless who tried to rhyme "loose" with "choose" several years ago in a Curious George book.

Christmas, Here I Come! is a festive, secular offering and seems like it would make a nice little stocking stuffer or pre-Christmas read. T clearly enjoyed it this week!

Note: A review copy was provided upon request, for the purpose of an honest review. All thoughts are our own.

Comments