A Matter of Hive and Death Book Review

A Matter of Hive and Death (An Oregon Honeycomb Mystery #2)
By Nancy Coco
Published by Kensington
On Sale: March 29, 2022

Review
No Spoilers
In true cozy mystery form, small-town shop owner Wren stumbles upon a dead body while out to visit a local beekeeper. She can't help but embroil herself in the investigation, which leads to her becoming a new target for the mysterious apiary vandals and murderers. 

I've read a variety of cozy mysteries, ranging from outlandish and trope-filled (not a fan at all) to more crime-drama slanted (not my first choice). Coco's Honeycomb Mystery series is a new favorite because of its ideal balance between mystery investigation, characters and setting, and believability. The complex plot and investigation unfold plausibly but not predictably, keeping this reader figuratively on the edge of her seat and literally cuddled up with a cat under a blanket. With honey-based food and body care recipes between chapters, reading feels more personal than a mere narrative. It's as though the events are unfolding within the sphere of a normal food and self-care filled life, amplifying credibility that a private citizen could naturally be swept up in a murder investigation. I also feel like I am getting to know these private citizens beyond a superficial level – I can happily imagine living in Wren's Oceanview, shopping the small businesses, and getting to know my neighbors. In fact, I wish I could befriend Wren in real life. I like her, and I feel like we would get along really well. And not only because we both take our cats for leashed walks. 😸

Coco has created a setting and narrative that completely wrapped me up. I devoured A Matter of Hive and Death and can't wait for the next installment!

Check out Book 1: Death Bee Comes Her















Note: A review copy was provided upon request, for the purpose of an honest review. All thoughts are my own.

Comments