If You Ever Meet a Skeleton Book Review

If You Ever Meet a Skeleton

Written by Rebecca Evans
Illustrated by Katrin Dreiling
Published by Page Street Kids, September 7, 2021

Review
I have never read this book.

T has though. To me. Repeatedly. (Okay, so I read along over his shoulder.)

If You Ever Meet a Skeleton is a big hit with T – it's cute, funny, eminently readable, and has a part where the mom gets scared. T points out that most of it is not spooky; where the skeleton has its arms reaching out "is a little bit spooky," however. Told in rhyme accompanied by cartoonish illustrations, the reader is instructed what to do upon meeting a skeleton on Halloween night. The reader is reassured that because the muscles and brain have decomposed, the skeleton is neither fast nor smart and could not harm you even if you wanted. All it wants is to share some candy and help you scare your mom. T's favorite part is the page where the skeleton can't smell stinky shoes. He points out, "Look at that boy. It's [the stink] wafting over his nose and he's like, 'Uuuughh.'"

T is moving beyond a lot of picture books, but keeps coming back to this one to read himself. If You Ever Meet a Skeleton is perfect for a young audience this Halloween.

I do have to mention one thing that perplexes me. I wonder why the skeleton has eyes when it's described as having no eyes. But that is probably me overthinking it. Otherwise, I am delighted by T's delight in reading it to me. And it puts us in the Halloween mood (not that we need much help there though!).


Note: A review copy was provided by Page Street Kids upon request, for the purpose of an honest review. All thoughts are our own.

Comments