If I Had an Octopus Book Review

If I Had an Octopus
Written by Gabby Dawnay
Illustrated by Alex Barrow
Published April 13, 2021, by Thames and Hudson

Review
If you've read the other books in this series, you know what to expect. And If I Had an Octopus doesn't let you down. Beginning like the others, a little girl contemplates the benefits of different marine pets, ultimately choosing an octopus for its intelligence, camouflage, bonelessness, and triple hearts. Combining fact with imagination, the little girl – who reminds me of Madeline in her blue dress and yellow cap – whisks readers away into her fantasy of painting, cooking, and snuggling with a giant octopus. I like how the fusion of fact and fiction encourages imagination. Of course you can't have a giant octopus as a pet, but wouldn't it be fun if...? Me, I'd like a wombat for a pet.

Emergent readers will find If I Had an Octopus accessible – Dawnay's sentences incorporate Barrow's illustrations in place of key words like shrimp, shark, or whale. T is 6 now, but continues to enjoy this series. It is one he has enjoyed since If I Had a Sleepy Sloth, and I think the familiarity is both fun and comfortable. No favorite pet has been selected, however.

Mom: I thought you'd probably want an octopus for a pet to help you with your sums.

Son: Yes, please!

Extra:




















Note: A review copy was provided upon for the purpose of this honest review.

Comments