Nerdlet: Animals Book Review

NERDlet: Animals 
By T. J. Resler
Published by National Geographic Kids, September, 2020

Review
NERDlet: Animals looked like it would be similar to Weird but True! Halloween, which we thoroughly enjoyed. It is. Animals is a collection of animal-related facts – pretty straightforward. The scope is massive, and the book is small, which makes it ideal for perusing. Bright photographs, large print, and minimal text make it accessible for all ages. We haven't yet covered every single page, but almost everything we've read has been novel for me. With the Halloween book, we read cover-to-cover over the course of several days leading up to the holiday. We've had Animals sitting out on the coffee table or hearth for a while, and it gets picked up when the mood strikes. 

T's favorite parts were the cute animals, like the axolotl, and the quizzes. We learned what type of foxes we are most like, and I'm not surprised he'd be the arctic variety since he took that quiz on a snow day (I'd be a fennec, reveling in the hot desert)! I like my animal trivia, and T likes animals and information, so this little book chock full of photos and facts is a great fit for us. (It also tickled him that it was advertised on the back of his Nat. Geo. Kids magazine!) 

A word on National Geographic:
As a child, I loved browsing the National Geographic and World magazines in our home. National Geographic publications were my first stop when I needed information about the natural world or another country, even before hitting the local library. (I'm pretty sure I wrote a whole report in middle school with those as my only sources...in retrospect I should have been using a variety of sources.) Now, T reads the current Kids magazine (Thanks, Granddad!), and we often have the opportunity to review books published by the children's imprint; I'm gratified to see T entranced as I was (and still am).

"I will pose for a moment, but no longer"
-Professor Roderick Childermass

Note:
A review copy was provided upon request for the purpose of an honest review.

Comments