The Shape of the World Book Review

The Shape of the World: A Portrait of Frank Lloyd Wright  
Written by K. L. Going
Illustrated by Lauren Stringer
Published 2017 by Beach Lane Books

Son's Review
Age: 5

I like it. I like the picture of the building. My favorite is Falling Water.

Can we visit some of his buildings? Do you wanna see the one I wanna visit, Mom? That one! *points to Falling Water*

What should people expect?
They'll expect to learn about buildings.

Mom's Review


The Shape of the World is beautiful. It's also the story of Frank Lloyd Wright's childhood and inspiration. When I say "story," I really mean a story; this is not a list of names and dates, but rather a tale about a boy who was interested in nature, shapes, and building with blocks. T even asked me at one point, "This is true, right?" The end of the book narrates how Wright incorporated his interests into architecture, illustrations show some of his more famous buildings. Back matter includes a key to Wright's works pictured throughout book.

Readers can easily identify Wright's love of nature, shapes, and building. One two-page spread is devoted to his youthful play with wooden blocks: building towers, combining shapes to form different shapes, etc. When I mentioned that this reminded me of a little boy I knew, T immediately said, "Me!" (We just cleaned up our library floor, which had been covered in wooden blocks.) Going weaves a commanding story that subtly validates the importance of play and imagination. Stringer showcases Wright's creations and style in her own illustrations, enveloping the audience in Wright's world. Text and illustration mesh seamlessly. The Shape of the World is biography that engages young readers and entices them into the world of architecture, which some of us might otherwise expect to make for tedious reading. T likes reading it again and again, and so do I.

Side note: T and I definitely want to visit Falling Water when it's safe. His lucky dad has already visited, and we now demand that he take us!

Note: A big THANK YOU to Grammy for finding this awesome book at Taliesan West, Frank Lloyd Wright's desert home and laboratory.

Comments