Monument Maker Book Review

Monument Maker: Daniel Chester French and the Lincoln Memorial 
Written by Linda Booth Sweeney
Illustrated by Shawn Fields
Published by Tilbury House

Mom's Review
Monument Maker came through our house because of the Cybils Awards. Had I not been a judge, I would have passed it over. The cover is grey and shows the Lincoln Memorial – not particularly eye-catching or exciting. I would have glanced at it and thought, "Huh. Don't really want to read about the Lincoln Memorial." And that would have been a mistake. 

Monument Maker isn't a story about the Lincoln Memorial itself, but about the man who designed it. One really ought to read subtitles. Daniel Chester French was a boy who loved to be outside and draw or sculpt. (Once he and his brother sculpted a huge lion out of snow that scared the neighbors.) As a young man, he continued to pursue his passion for sculpture, particularly when his study of law didn't work out. He studied drawing and sculpture, quickly making a name for himself as a sculptor. French's story is really well written; T and I didn't want to put it down. At times, the story is exciting and suspenseful; other parts showed events we identified with. French was likable. His family was loving and supportive. He followed his dream. That makes for good content. Sweeney's word craft made for great reading.

I sure was wrong to judge Monument Maker by its cover! It turned out to be a compelling and enjoyable picture book biography.  By the end, I even appreciated how the marble tones of the cover are appropriate to the topic. T and I had fun reading about a real person, were fascinated to learn how large sculptures are created, and were tickled to see places we know appear as important historic locations.

Biography buffs, artists-in-the-making, and New Englanders will especially enjoy Monument Maker, but I encourage any readers to not overlook this hidden gem.

The intended age has been listed as 8-12, though I'd probably label it 5-12.

Son's Review
(Age when reviewing: 4)
I liked it. I liked how he made that statue, how he sent them in pieces because I've never heard of that. I felt all the feelings [while reading]. I felt angry because of the war and sad that Lincoln died.

Note: A review copy was provided in conjunction with judging the Cybils. 

Extra: Head over to the Cybils Awards website http://www.cybils.com/ to see the winners and nominees.

Comments

  1. I meant to say in my message that we just found out the Monument Maker made the MASS BOOK AWARDS "Must Read" list this year. So please tell your son he has a good eye, and ear!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment