Judging the Cybils


Have you heard of the Cybils Awards? They are awards for children's and YA literature, judged by the book blogging world. Yours truly is honored to be part of the process for the 2019 awards! If you are unfamiliar with the Cybils, it's worth popping over to their website:   http://www.cybils.com/

I am part of a Round Two panel of judges who select the winners from the seven finalists, and I can share with you the judging process, but not the results. For those, you have to wait a couple weeks. As of now, we have read the books and are discussing the merits of each. Let me tell you, doing so has been a lesson in seeing things from other perspectives. For example, I wasn't keen on XYZ in a book, but that's what another judge loved about that book. It is really interesting to see how everyone's opinions do and don't align. I've also been reading the books with T, and he is immersed in judging them himself, telling me which judges he agrees with (sometimes me, sometimes not). Since I usually only discuss picture books with T, it has been really enjoyable to evaluate them with other adults!

Note: The arrangement of books above means absolutely nothing other than that I wanted to stagger the blue covers.

Comments