Thomas Jefferson and the Mammoth Hunt


Written by Carrie Clickard
Illustrated by Nancy Carpenter
Published January 1, 2019

Why we chose this book:
I've been reading a biography of Alexander von Humboldt, which T has been asking me about regularly. When there is something that would be particularly interesting to him, I tell him about it. One such thing is Humboldt's relationship with Thomas Jefferson, and Jefferson's search for live and fossilized mammoths. When I saw Thomas Jefferson and the Mammoth Hunt, I knew it would be a timely fit. Simon and Schuster provided a review copy.

Mom's Review

An entertaining account of Jefferson's attempt to prove Buffon's account of America wrong.

Before I get into the specific content of the book, it helps to have some background. I mean, who knows about Jefferson's mammoth search? I certainly never learned or taught about it in any school, and I expect that my experience isn't unique. And so, I doubt most people learned of the disagreement between him and a French naturalist. Buffon, without even visiting America, advanced the view that everything in America was small, mean, and unable to prosper. Jefferson took it upon himself to refute this claim as a matter of personal honor. He began to measure and document everything, and sought out live and fossilized mammoths (he expected that some still roamed the interior). Not only is the dispute interesting in its own right, but learning about it fleshes out one's understanding of American history, an early president, and the importance of naturalists during the 1700-1800's.

With that little(?!) bit of background, my appreciation for Thomas Jefferson and the Mammoth Hunt can better be understood. The illustrations show so much excitement and emotion, the story is told in well-metered rhyme, and the whole book informs and entertains. Back matter provides further information about various details in the text as well as suggested readings. Overall, it was a fun book that allows readers to understand one small episode in the history of science. I liked it and I do recommend it, especially for kids interested in fossils and competitions. Parents of small children should be prepared for conversation, however, as some explanation of "Founding Fathers," mammoths, and the Louisiana Purchase will be useful.

It has been noted by other reviewers (on Kirkus, for example), and I feel I would be remiss if I did not mention this as well, that the individuals who are depicted as working for Jefferson have both light and dark skin. They work side by side as equals, with no indication that some of them would likely have been slaves. Why is this? This depiction could in itself be an excellent springboard for discussing why the author and illustrator chose to write and illustrate as they did and what transpired during fossil excavation.

Son's Review
(Age: almost 4)

Son: I'm confused.

Mom: What are you confused about?

Son: I'm confused why they were hunting for alive mammoths.

Mom: Oh. Because they didn't know they were extinct. What did they find though?

Son: Bones.

Mom: How would you feel if you found fossils?

Son: Um. Kinda complex and confused because I wouldn't know what to do.

Mom: How did reading make you feel?

Son: Happy. Why it made me feel happy is because I liked the story.

Mom: What did you like about the book?

Son: I'll show you my favorite picture...This is what I liked [page filled with fossils in the White House]. Because then I can see each bone.

Mom: What is the coolest thing you learned?

Son, flipping through the book: Um, why did they need a wheel?

Mom: Look at the picture again. What are they doing?

Son: Is it taking the water away? And the people are fetching the bones!

Mom: Yes!

Mom: If you could meet Thomas Jefferson, what would you say to him?

Son: How large were the bones?

Mom: What is the most important thing to know about this book?

Son: That he was alive. Thomas Jefferson.


Comments