tiny, perfect things



Written by M. H. Clark
Illustrated by Madeline Kloepper
Published June 4, 2018

Why we chose this book:
I came across this book while browsing upcoming releases online. The cover first caught my eye, and then the synopsis sounded like us — a discovery of tiny "treasures" while walking outside. Compendium provided an advance copy for review.

Mom's Review

A grandfather and his granddaughter take an evening walk, noticing tiny, special things in their neighborhood.

Tiny, Perfect Things has perfect timing. It is now light out later, and kids love to stay out as late as possible. And that is precisely what the little girl in this book gets to do with her grandfather. They stroll through their neighborhood in the evening, pointing out noteworthy "things" to one another, such as a snail or a flower coming up in the sidewalk. As the moon's light begins to bathe the sidewalk, they head home to the girl's parents. The family joyously greets one another, and the little girl voices her wish to repeat the walk tomorrow. The story itself sets a great example for what to do on a summer evening, but it is Kloepper's illustrations that are the real perfect thing in this book. Each page is rich in detail; the hidden gems in the volume are seemingly endless. The final page folds out (see photo below) with an invitation, "How many tiny, perfect things can you find?" On top of that, the characters exude happiness. It is worth noting that the main character is biracial, her mother depicted with a light skin tone and her father with a noticeably darker skin tone. If you are specifically seeking a portrayal of an interracial family, this is a winner. If you are seeking a portrayal of a happy family, this is a winner. If you are seeking a book filled with endless discovery, this is a winner. In short: this book is a winner!

Son's Review
(age 3)

While reading:
Son: I would fly up and get that apple.

Mom: I see a snail. Do you see anything else?

Son: The bird and flowers.

Mom: What does the bird have?...What might the bird be doing with that wheat?

Son: Wheat...Giving it back to a garden.

Mom: I like that idea. I think maybe the bird is making a nest.

Son: I don't think that. I think that he is giving it back to a garden.

Mom: Okay. Maybe he is.

Son: He is.

After reading:
Mom, pointing: I like that little squirrel.

Son, also pointing: I like this ribbon and I like this leaf and I like this footprint.

Mom: Do you have a favorite page?

Son, pointing to snail page: This one. Let's find our favorite things at the end. Here's what I found! (points to a leaf)

Mom: Could you tell me about the book? How did reading it make you feel?

Son: Happy.

Mom: What made you happiest?

Son: Where they were home.

Mom: There's a lot going on on that page. What is the best part?

Son: The daddy holding brownies!

Mom: Would you want to go on a walk like theirs? What would you want to find?

Son: Yeah. I would find her snail. I wouldn't want to take a grown-up because I'm old enough to take a walk by myself.

Mom thinks: No, you're not.
Mom says gently: Oh, baby. Not quite yet, but soon.



Finding our favorite tiny, perfect things on the fold-out.

Awesome endpaper!

Trying to get the tiny, perfect thing from our yard
 to cooperate for a tiny, perfect Instagram shot.

Comments