What is Punk?


Written by Eric Morse
Illustrated by Anny Yi
Published in 2015

Why we chose this book:
I'm a Sex Pistols fan, so when I came across this title about punk music, I was intrigued. I requested a copy for review from the publisher, Akashic books, and they obliged.

Mom's Review

A brief introduction to punk music.

With impressive claymation illustrations, this is a real eye-catcher. A brief history of punk music is narrated in rhyme, with many bands listed. Readers familiar with those bands will likely enjoy the book, but if one is unfamiliar with punk music, the volume (haha) of bands might feel a bit overwhelming. Punk culture is touched on, but not visited in depth. This is a fun tool for introducing punk music to a child. The final sentence rings true: "But if you really want to know punk...You just have to LISTEN."

For a week before reading this and reviewing it, I had punk music playing on the computer. When this book arrived, I introduced it to T by linking it to the music we had been listening to. He was interested mostly in the claymation illustrations at first, but was drawn into the music quickly. We did not read this straight through, but stopped to talk about the different bands, the illustrations (he asked on every single page if everything was Play Doh), and what we liked, and we stopped to listen to music frequently. He really enjoyed it and has asked to read this again repeatedly. He even goes around singing "Hey Ho, Let's Go" by the Ramones ("Blitzkrieg Bop"). Move over alphabet song, we have a punk fan!

Son's Review
(age 3)

Son: It says you're supposed to listen.

Mom: Yes it does. So what do you think? Is it good? What band do you want to listen to first?

Son: I think it's good. We should listen to this band! (points to the boy on the cover)

Mom: Let me see what album he's holding. It's the Ramones. We can do that! And can you tell me one thing you learned about punk?

Son: I learned that punk didn't die.

Mom: Does this book make you want to do anything?

Son: Do punk...wear punk style.

Mom: What is your favorite thing in the book? Did you have a favorite name?

Son: Where they got their names...Johnny Rotten!

Mom: Shall we listen to some music now? And what band do you like?

Son: YEAHHHHHH! Clash!

Listening to my CDs on the computer while 
reading about the musicians. Yes, I still have CD's.





Comments