Updrift


Updrift (The Mer Chronicles Book 1)
By Errin Stevens
Published in 2015

Why I chose this book:
The author contacted me about potentially reviewing her books. I like mermaid stories, so I happily agreed. I'm very glad I did.

Review

Kate's close childhood friendship grows into romantic love, leading her into a world of sirens.

Updrift follows Kate from childhood into adulthood. As a child, she develops a close friendship with Maya and Gabe. As the three age, they follow different academic paths but retain their close friendship, with Kate and Gabe developing romantic interest in one another. After being kept apart by their parents during high school and college, Kate and Gabe finally act on their attraction as young adults. I do not want to spoil anything, but their relationship encounters a major roadblock before the end of the book. Oh, and Gabe is a merman.

More than anything, this is a character-driven novel exploring the search for fulfillment. Kate witnesses contrasting approaches to life in her mother and aunt, analyzing each as she ages and reflecting on how to find happiness for herself. Set against a backdrop of mermaids, intrigue, and romance, Kate's soul-searching journey drew me in and left me eager for the next book in the series. If you like mermaids at all, I'd wager you'll love this.

Son's Review
(age 3)
I showed T the review I was working on, and this was his thought on it.
Son: Is there a bad mermaid?

Mom: There is.

Son: And where's the bad mermaid?

Mom: They don't show a picture.

Son, pointing to cover image: I think that fish is the bad mermaid 'cuz it looks like a bad mermaid's tail.

Mom: Hmmm. Maybe it is. I had thought it was the good mermaid.

Son: I think it's the bad mermaid.

Comments

  1. Thank you for taking the time to review my little story. I'm giggling over your son's comments!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment