Shark Lady

Written by Jess Keating
Illustrated by Marta Alvarez Miguens
Published in 2017

Why we chose this book:
This was on our library's display for Women's History Month. With sharks, bright colors, and little text on each page, I hoped this would be a good fit for T.

Update: We just found out that this is part of March Book Madness! So we are reading it for that too! It is matched up against The Most Magnificent Thing.

Mom's Review

A biography of Eugenie Clark, shark researcher.

As a young girl, Eugenie was interested in sharks. This interest grew as she did, and despite frequent discouragement, she earned her doctoral degree in zoology. Dr. Clark researched sharks, discovered unknown sea creatures in the Red Sea, and scuba dived until she was 92. She died in February, 2015.

This was a really enjoyable book for both T and me. I like reading about strong women, as I mentioned in my Ada Twist, Scientist post. And here is a real person, which is exciting to me and T. When we looked at the timeline in the back, I noticed that T was born a little over a week before Dr. Clark passed away. I mentioned to him that he was born before she died, that he and she were both alive at the same time. I didn't realize how important this was to him until I overheard him telling his father about this book, emphasizing that the shark lady was alive when he was.

The narrative was easy enough for T to understand, and I did not repeat my mistake from The Doctor with an Eye on Eyes.  I discussed the content with T as we read, and helped him understand the illustrations (Eugenie's thoughts are depicted with sharks swimming through the air).

Son's Review
(age 3 years)

Mom: Did you like it? What was your favorite part?

Son: Yeah. When she stuck gum in her ears.

Mom: Why?

Son: She did it so water couldn't get in her ears.

Mom: Would you want to do anything Eugenie did?

Son: Swim.

Mom: What animal would you want to see?

Son: A fish.

Mom: If she were still alive, would you want to meet her? What would you say to her?

Son: Yeah. "I want to meet a fish."

Mom: What do you think she would tell you?

Son: "I want to meet a shark."


Comments