Mr. Tiger Goes Wild


Written and Illustrated by Peter Brown
Published in 2013

Why we chose this one:
This is part of 2018 March Book Madness, competing with Nerdy Bird.

Mom's Review

A civilized tiger embraces his animal nature.

Mr. Tiger looks to be part of a Victorian-era animal world, but he is unhappy with it. He decides to forsake propriety and act like the animal he is, and he is much happier for it. Drab gray illustrations contrast with bright, bold ones to evoke Mr. Tiger's weariness and exuberance, respectively.

As I write this, I am thinking that the illustrations remind me of My Teacher is a Monster! (No, I Am Not.), which we own and enjoy reading I just looked on Goodreads, and found that the creator is one and the same. I am not surprised, therefore, that I enjoyed reading Mr. Tiger Goes Wild with T. Not only do I enjoy Peter Brown's art, but I liked the idea that animals should not act like people. I acknowledge that I am probably in the minority with that thinking; it's likely I've just read a few too many of those lately.

Son's Review
(age 3 years)

Mom: What did the tiger do?

Son: Get naked!

Mom: Was that okay? How did he feel?

Son: Yeah. He liked it.

Mom: Do you ever like to run around wild, like Mr. Tiger?

Son, climbing on couch and doing stuntwork: Yeah. I just like to go wild. I like to run around.

Mom: Why do you think Mr. Tiger's friends are happy at the end?

Son: Because they are naked and they look like animals. And this one has a hat, and this one has a hat, and this one has a hat, and that's not normal. And this one doesn't have a hat. I think that's weird how the others have a hat and the tiger doesn't have a hat.

Mom: Do you like it when the animals act like animals or like people?

Son: When the animals act like animals.

Mom: Who might like this book?

Son: Children who like animals.

Mom: How did this book make you feel? Did it make you want to do anything?

Son: It made me want to run around.

Mom: Did you want to say anything else about this book?

Son, bouncing on the couch: That the tiger goed wild!

Comments