How to Catch a Leprechaun


Written by Adam Wallace
Illustrated by Andy Elkerton
Published in 2016

Why we chose this book:
We are reading Irish folklore, leprechaun stories, and tales about Saint Patrick in preparation for St. Patrick's Day. I've seen a number of books about catching leprechauns, and this one was a New York Times bestseller, so we thought it might be a good choice.

Mom's Review

A wily leprechaun sneaks through various homes, evading traps and wreaking havoc.

There is not much to this book, but the leprechaun's antics are entertaining. The leprechaun makes all types of mischief, but is not caught in any of the children's creative traps. At the end, he says that one day a child will devise the perfect trap; the accompanying illustration depicts boys and girls engineering a new trap. Although I didn't think much of the book, it seems that it really got T thinking.  When I asked if he would catch a leprechaun, he excitedly answered and explained how. He was so eager to tell me his ideas that he could barely get his words out!

Son's Review
(age 3 years)

Mom: Do you think you would catch a leprechaun?

Son: Yeah, yeah, yeah.  And I, maybe I would catch a leprechaun in a coffee maker.

Mom: How would you catch him in the coffee maker?

Son: I would pick him up with pliers and tongs. And then I would drop him in the coffee maker.

Mom: What kind of mischief do you think a leprechaun might do in your house?

Son: Break toys...make a toys mess!

Mom: Did you have a favorite page in this book?

Son, pointing to a page with robots: Those robots are for protection.

Mom: How would you describe this book?

Son: I would describe it...it's a leprechaun dance party book.

Comments