When it isn't working anymore...

A Change in Process
This isn't working anymore. Over the past year, T has been less and less interested in talking about what we read after we finish the book. He is more inspired to comment and question as we read, and then respond afterward through creative means. In the past week, he's drawn multiple cutaway views of a volcano, created his own easy reader series featuring Jurassic World's Bumpy, and used LEGO bricks to build the characters from My Neighbor Totoro and other books. Tonight, I asked him what he thought about a book we read that I didn't like. He walked away and then told me, "I don't like doing book reviews. They're boring. My brain turns off when it's time to do a book review. I want to read the book-review books, but you write the review." If that's not pretty clear, then I don't know what is. So, from here on out, I'll be writing the book reviews, doing my best to include his reactions and responses. I am grateful that he told me what he was feeling. The last thing I want is to do is make reading a chore for him. 

Even if he doesn't want to do a book review, T still loves reading. After telling me how boring book reviews are, he retired to a reading nook he had set up. He tucked himself away to page through a new library book in peace.
T's Reading Nook 
(previously a hideout for the cat)



Comments