To Review or Not Review?

Spotlight on Book Selection
a quasi behind-the-scenes post

The topic of book reviewers' obligations has been popping up in my feed lately. I want to add my two cents. 

Most of the reviews I post are glowing. I choose to write about books that I find worthwhile – that's kind of the point of this blog. I seek out books that appeal in the first place. Sometimes, publishers provide books unsolicited. While I am not pressured to review everything that crosses our threshold, I do feel internal pressure to give a little attention to everything. That doesn't mean I write a whole review or even a positive review for everything. I might devote a whole post to the book, like in the case of It's a Pumpkin!, which I didn't like but T did. Or the book might just show up in a reading roundup-type Instagram post. While I do feel compelled to mention books, I don't feel compelled to be positive. If I don't like something, I will tell you. I will try to be polite, however. Real people wrote and illustrated, and I respect them even if what they've done does not appeal to me. 

You always see the books that I luuuuurve. Below are four books that I don't. That doesn't mean they're bad or that you won't like them, or even that T doesn't.  It just means that they don't stand out from the crowd and cry, "Spend your time writing about ME!!!" And there's no accounting for taste.


Close Your Eyes
In its favor:
The animals are adorable, and T likes them. It's easy for him to read to himself.
Against it:
We're past the phase where we read calming picture books to put our toddler to sleep. There's no plot, character development, challenging vocabulary, or content that inspires imagination.

Iggy Iguanodon: Playtime and Mealtime (Time to Read: Level 2)
In its favor:
It's easy for T to read with minimal help. The dinosaur sets an example of trying new things.
Against it:
Why do the dinosaurs talk, and how did a dinosaur get an mp3 player? I have so many questions. Maybe I didn't watch enough Dinosaurs as a child. The morals of the stories come across somewhat forcefully. Children don't identify with animals.

Scout the Mighty Tugboat
In its favor:
Readers learn the uses for a tugboat. Vocabulary and repetition support emergent readers.
Against it:
Why does the tugboat have to talk and have feelings? Also, if the purpose of this is to educate about tugboats, who is piloting this craft? Scout seems to drive herself and communicate to other ships vocally.

My Friend Ben Won't Share
In its favor:
Large print and simple sentences support emergent readers. Readers are shown that friendship means resolving disputes.
Against it:
Anthropomorphic beavers. Again, I have so many questions. Also, where are their orange teeth? Ever since we learned that beavers have orange teeth, it's the first thing we look for. 

Note: Review copies of the books above were provided by Albert Whitman and Company. 

Comments

  1. I really appreciate your honesty about your son's review journey taking a turn! You've planted amazing seeds for raising a reader and are showing immense respect and encouragement for him to continue making his own choices. Brava!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment