This is the Chick

Written by Wendy Hartmann
Illustrated by Joan Rankin
Published January 2, 2018

Why we chose this book:
The cover caught T's eye, and when I read the synopsis, I saw that it was indeed right up our alley. Crocodile Books provided a review copy.

Mom's Review

A chain of events featuring African animals in their natural setting.

The whole story starts with a chick who lets out a peep, startling an elephant who in turn scares a kudu and so on until multiple animals are fleeing an imaginary monster (see image on right). The wise owl puts a stop to their silliness, telling them it was just a chick and that they should go back to bed. The pattern makes for fun shared reading; T got into the repetition quickly and enthusiastically.

What sets This is the Chick apart is the animals. While readers will recognize the elephant and the owl, the others may be unfamiliar, such as the kudu and the jackal. And this is part of what drew me to the book after T pointed out the "cover with the bird." Written by a Cape Town author, and including unfamiliar animals, This is the Chick would introduce us just a tiny bit more to Africa through the lens of a silly story. With acacia trees and a savannah setting, potentially exotic animals are normalized; young readers can embrace unfamiliar flora and fauna. As we read, T asked questions about acacia thorns and jackals, and pointed out what the animals were doing.  He was really drawn into this, and since reading this book, T has incorporated jackals into his imaginative play.

What beautiful way to learn cause and effect and to meet African animals!

Son's Review
(Age: 3 and 1/2 years)
Son, grinning, at the end of the book: I want to read it again!

Mom: Why? Is there something good about it?

Son: I just do. I like the monster, how he looks.

Mom: Is there really a monster?

Son, still grinning: No. I don't know what he is. What is he?

Mom: He is what they are all imagining together...Do you have a favorite animal yet?

Son: The monster. What is your favorite?

Mom: The kudu.

Son, smiling and turning the pages slowly: I turned to the starting.

After reading:
Son: How are they frightened?

Mom: They frightened each other. But what do they think is coming after them?

Son: A monster!

Mom: What advice would you give those animals?

Son: I would say, "Just don't think about a monster. Just try to not think about one." That's what I would say. That's what I would tell them.

Mom: What do you think of the animals?

Son: They're silly. They're silly that a monster's chasing them. They're silly animals.

Mom: What's your favorite animal? Why?

Son: The owl. He's cool.

Mom: If you could meet any animal-

Son, interrupting: Or the monster. I'll tell you what I would do if I met the monster. I would destroy the monster so they wouldn't have to worry about him.

Mom: What if you hear a "cheep" in the night?

Son: I wouldn't do anything.

Mom: What did you like about this story?

Son: I really think the monster is silly looking because he's part of all these animals. My favorite part is where the owl says, "Stop!"

Mom: Who might like this?

Son: I think someone who likes monsters and rangers and silly would like this book.

Comments