Flames of Reckoning

What better use for our new couch
than to relax with a book?

Flames of Reckoning (The Awakened Book 3)

By LJ Andrews
Published August 2, 2018

Why I chose this book:
If you have been following this blog, then you know that I already read and reviewed books one and two of this series. I was excited to have the opportunity to read this as well, and the author provided a review copy at my request.

Review:

A stunning conclusion to a heart-pounding trilogy.

I cannot emphasize enough how thoroughly I enjoyed reading this dystopian YA fantasy. It is one of the best worlds, storylines, or casts of characters I've read. With some series, I find that the quality fluctuates between books, or that I continue merely to see a series through, not because I am enthusiastic. With The Awakened, however, I do not think that I can select a favorite book because each was as compelling as the other. And Flames of Reckoning was a most fitting conclusion to the trilogy, while also leaving an opening to another arc in the same universe.

If you have read the other books or my reviews, then you know what happened in Ashes of Retribution and Embers of Resistance. Adira and Jair continue to fight against the purity laws from the citadel; they view all as equal regardless of appearance and are leading the Resistance to overthrow the government in order to abolish the brutal laws. This installment sees them both rise as leaders, gaining confidence in themselves and opening up emotionally. The spark of romance between them develops into a deep and selfless love. Although tragedy strikes several times in the book, Andrews resolves each situation believably and satisfyingly. I do not wish to include spoilers in this review, as I highly recommend reading the book yourself. What you should know is that this is action-packed, satisfying, and surprising. When I closed the book the final time, I immediately missed the characters and the world Andrews created.

Above all, Flames of Reckoning is a book of fighting for what is right and good in the world and effecting meaningful change in society.

Comments