Breakwater



Breakwater (The Mer Chronicles #2)
By Errin Stevens
Published November 25, 2016


Why I chose this book:
I have always loved mermaids, so when Errin Stevens contacted me to review Updrift and Breakwater, I was excited for a new mermaid series.

Review

Sisters Sylvia and Maya seek personal fulfillment as they reach adulthood, while former government official Duncan struggles to accept a new monarch.

Second in the Mer Chronicles, this book is best read after Updrift. (In case you missed it, you can get caught up with my first review.) Sylvia and Maya have almost always succeeded, but as young adults are confronted with new truths and paths. Neither is completely satisfied with their romantic relationships or professional pursuits. For Maya, this dissatisfaction means pursuing a medical degree. For Sylvia, this dissatisfaction leads her to analyze her life choices, though she struggles to identify a better life course.   After several encounters with Simon (a siren), she finds contentment in his company. The two elope to Antarctica. Meanwhile, Duncan's machinations against the new siren government are dealt with by the familiar cast of characters from Updrift. Breakwater: romance/adventure.

I cannot recommend this series highly enough to anyone who likes mermaids, enjoys paranormal romance, or is simply gratified to read about loving for one’s partner and children. Breakwater is so much more than a mermaid book, than a romance. Sylvia’s, Maya’s, and even Duncan’s struggles for fulfillment illustrate different paths, for better and worse. With this series, Stevens showcases the joy in living with those one loves, wrapped in a package of mermaids, plot twists, and romance. And the ending sure left me impatient for the next installment!

A little bit extra:
Errin Stevens shared her own blog post with me; it focuses on her lack of personal fulfillment in her early 30's. http://errinstevens.com/cello-babies/

Comments

  1. Thank you again for your thoughtful attention to my little stories. I'll be contacting you about Outrush in the coming months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry for responding so late, but it has been my pleasure to read your books! I love recommending these!

      Delete

Post a Comment