Pete the Cat and His Magic Sunglasses

T and his cool blue sunglasses.
By Kimberly and James Dean
Published October 1, 2013

Why we chose this book:
T received a copy of this book from Worcester Family Partnership when we went to playgroup this morning. We had barely walked in the door when he said, "Let's read and review it!"

Mom's Review

Pete the Cat and his friends learn to enjoy the world around them.

Pete the Cat starts out his day in a grumpy mood, skateboarding down the street. When Grumpy Toad happily rides by and gives him "cool, blue, magic sunglasses" that allow him to "see things in a whole new way," he looks around and is instantly happy. He recites a little rhyme about "feeling alright" that is repeated throughout the book, as are the other quoted phrases (T enjoyed calling out the last line of the rhyme with each repetition). Pete continues down the road, meeting unhappy friends and cheering them with the sunglasses. When the sunglasses break, an owl tells Pete that they are unnecessary for happiness. Pete and his friends all recognize that this is true and are still "feeling alright."

T likes Pete the Cat, and I would expect other Pete fans to enjoy this book, too. I've mentioned before that T and I do not see eye to eye on Pete, as the artwork is not to my taste; regardless, I'm happy to read and chat about the books that T is excited about. Although this blog has showcased my selections lately, I would like to make it clear that I'm not the only one selecting our reading material. T has some favorite characters and series, and he likes to pull books off the library's shelves at random. We balance his autonomy and my guidance.

Son's Review
(age 3)

Mom: What did you think of the sunglasses? Do you think they were really magic or just a tool to help him?

Son: I think they were really magic sunglasses.

Mom: What helps you feel happy when you're sad? Sharing what? With whom?

Son: Sharing. Just sharing. All kinds of things. With my friends.

Mom: Which of Pete's friends is your favorite? Why?

Son: The alligator because I like alligators.

Mom: If Pete were real, what would you say to him? What else might you say?

Son: Hi. Just hi.

Mom: Who might like to read this book? Why? What's the most awesome part of it?

Son: Mom. Because it's awesome. The alligator.

Mom: Tell me about the sunglasses you made today.

Son: Why were there stickers?

Mom: For fun.

Son: Maybe so it would look shiny.

Mom: I think so. What was the best part of the project?

Son: The stickers!

Coming out into the bright sunshine, T used
these in place of real sunglasses!

Comments