Library on Wheels


By Sharlee Glenn
Published April 10, 2018

Why we chose this book:
I enjoy reading women's biographies. T and I both love the library. I saw this and was intrigued. Abrams Books, the publisher, provided a review copy.

Mom's Review

A biography of Mary Lemist Titcomb, the librarian who developed the bookmobile.

When this arrived in the mail, I paged through it and was immediately struck by the beauty of the book itself. Portraits, images of artifacts, curling fonts, and a color palette that evokes a bygone era combine for a pleasant viewing experience. And the reading experience is no less enjoyable. I wasn't sure how T would respond, as the intended age is 8-12 (this was a selection for me more than for him), but he asked lots of questions and was eager to keep reading. While I know that he didn't absorb all the information, I also know that he enjoyed reading about a librarian and the first book mobile. As I type this, I realize that I should have known it would be a hit. His favorite thing to build right now is any type of mobile. Boxes, forks, scraps of trash...everything becomes a mobile. So of course a book about a bookmobile would be awesome.

A biography naturally includes a fair number of names and dates, but Library on Wheels focused more on Titcomb's experiences and her drive to improve libraries. She wanted to pursue an education at a time when this was unusual for a girl, and her parents supported her. Her love of reading led her to pursue a career in librarianship, a new field for women. Her passion led her to a head librarian position at a new library, where she opened one of the first children's rooms in the country and where she developed a book wagon to reach the distant farms she was commissioned to serve. Because of the success of her book wagon, we now have the modern bookmobile.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. A biography of an inspiring woman who loved books, spread a love of reading, and changed the course of library history - what's not to love? I do think that with discussion and support, the audience age could go younger than 8. T has asked for this book back to back several times.

Son's Review
(age 3)

Mom: She went far away from her family to become a librarian. Would you go far away for a job you wanted or would you stay home with your family?

Son: I would stay with my family because I love my family.

Mom: Oh we love you too. If you did want to go far away for a job you wanted, we'd support you and tell you go and enjoy it!

Mom: Mary Titcomb also made the children's room at her library. What would you tell her about the children's room at Worcester Public Library?

Son: I would tell Miss Titcomb I like the children's room...the big bubble that you can put your head into.

Mom: And she told librarians they should help kids. How do the librarians help you at our library?

Son: Say which shelf the books are on.

Mom: What would you ask Miss Titcomb if she were at our library?

Son, pointing to a picture: I'm gonna ask Miss Titcomb a question. What are these kinds of little books?

Mom: Ahhh. Let's see. It says it's a book deposit box. It's like a little library at a store or in someone's home, so you can use the library even if you are far away from the library.

Mom: What's the most interesting thing you learned?

Son: That they put up libraries in their house.

Mom: I thought that was really interesting too. What is your favorite thing about libraries?

Son: The big bubble that you can put your head into...I like Miss Rebecca. She does story time. She reads stories at all the kids. She tells 'em nicely.

Building a Lego bookmobile 

Comments