In the Past


Written by David Elliott
Illustrated by Matthew Trueman
Published March 20, 2018

Why we chose this book:
We are flirting with a dinosaur phase right now. When I saw this recent release from Candlewick that includes even more than dinosaurs, I requested a review copy, which they provided.

Mom's Review

Poetic descriptions of prehistoric creatures, from the trilobite to the wooly mammoth.

This large picture book has been engrossing as we lie on the floor and page through it. I smile seeing prehistoric creatures I already know, like the trilobites I taught about as a fourth grade teacher in PA — as well as the apatosaurus, who was once known as the brontosaurus (and whose name change has resulted in some hand wringing). The brontosaurus was my favorite dinosaur as a child, and I had been dismayed to learn in recent years that it was actually a misidentified apatosaurus. I've been misinformed for decades! This is why I'm the one who needs a dinosaur phase. As for T, he asks questions about the different animals, comes up with ideas about how they could be pets if they were a bit smaller, and has been learning some new vocabulary, like "vanquished."

Two-page spreads feature different prehistoric life-forms in chronological order. A timeline of the epochs runs along the bottom of the title page, and each two-page spread notes that animal's era along the bottom, in a spot corresponding to the initial timeline. Back matter elaborates on each epoch and the featured creatures. In the Past has sparked interest in creatures previously unknown to us.

Son's Review
(age 3)
While reading: 
Son: I think[the dunkleosteus] doesn't want to be in the ocean.

Mom: I think he looks kinda scary. I think if I were swimming he'd eat me.

Son: He doesn't eat people!

Mom: You're right. All of these creatures are extinct. Do you remember what that means?

Son: It means all dead. I thought it meant missing. I thought they were missing because we didn't see them. Hey, what's that redness next to [the dimetrodon's] claw?

Mom: I think it's supposed to be blood. This says he's a carnivore, so he ate other animals.

Son: Why's there blood?

Mom: Well, he ate animals, so the artist shows blood to show that he ate an animal and not a plant because animals have blood in them. Are you okay? You look a little sad or scared.

Son: I'm okay.

After reading:
Mom: What was your favorite creature in this book?

Son: I liked the trilobite. I was glad that it didn't have a stinger.

Mom: Did you find anything scary?

Son: Some animals were scary in there. Some animals. Some ones were making scary faces. I liked that some were scary.

Mom: What's the most interesting thing you learned?

Son: That king's were not always in charge.
(The T-Rex was vanquished.)

Mom: Was there a king animal?

Son: Yeah...the tyrannosaurus Rex.

Mom: What kids might be interested in looking at this book?

Son: T! I wanted another copy of it because it is so good. That's why I wanted another copy.

Mom: Whom would you want to read the second copy next to you and me?

Son: Daddy!

Mom: Does In the Past make you want to learn more about any of these animals?

Son: I do. Turn the pages....that one!

Mom: Dunkleosteus? It's a plan!


 


Comments