Too Many Leprechauns

Written by Stephen Krensky
Illustrated by Andreasen
Published in 2007

Why we chose this book:
We are reading Irish folktales and books about St. Patrick and leprechauns in honor of St. Patrick's Day.

Mom's Review

Bothersome leprechauns are tricked into leaving a town in peace; an explanation is given for the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

I enjoy books where the tricksters are tricked, and this fits into that category. When the main character, Finn, returns to his hometown, he finds that leprechauns have been keeping everyone awake as they noisily create fairy shoes. Although Finn is warned that leprechauns are not to be trusted, he willingly incurs their ire. He hides their gold at the end of a rainbow, they agree to depart if he will reveal the gold's location. He does, they depart, but they decide to continue storing their gold at the end of the rainbow. Older readers may see through Finn's conniving, but will probably enjoy watching the leprechauns get hoodwinked even so. It was a fun read with T - he kept calling over to his dad, "This is all make believe," or, "This is pretend, Daddy," as we read.

Son's Review
(age 3 years)
T paged through this book on an unusually silent drive home from the library.

After reading:
Mom: If the leprechauns were keeping you awake, and you were really tired what would you do?

Son: I would play all day.

Mom: What if you were too tired and kept dropping your toys? How would you get rid of the leprechauns?

Son: I would use a sword and a shield. I would whap the sword on the shield. I think the leprechauns would think that is silly.

Mom: What would you do if you met Finn?

Son: I would climb a rock because I like rocks.

Mom: Are there any rocks in this story? Where?

Son: Yeah. When they find the gold.

Mom: Where would you hide leprechaun gold?

Son: I would hide it in my closet. I would hide it in Mommy and Daddy's closet and would say Don't go in there

Mom: Do you think the leprechauns would listen?

Son: No because the gold's in there and they want the gold!

Mom: Should anyone else get Too Many Leprechauns from their library?

Son: Cousin G!


Don't worry, I was a passenger
when I snapped this pic of T
on the drive home!

Comments