Hygge


Hygge: The Danish Secrets of Happiness, How to be Happy and Healthy in Your Daily Life
Written by Maya Thoresen
Published in 2017

Why I chose this book:
I've been hearing a lot about Hygge and regularly coming across books on the topic. "They" say that exposure breeds affection, and because of all the exposure, I've been feeling compelled to read about the topic. When author Maya Thoresen offered her book for review, I was interested.

Review:

An interpretation of how to integrate principles of Danish happiness into an American life.

Why read a book on Danish happiness? Curiosity, unhappiness, a desire to know another culture? I read this out of curiosity, so my impression is likely much different from that of someone seeking a way to boost his/her own happiness. And I think this is the primary reason for my mixed reaction to the book.  

Thoresen outlines the principles of hygge (Danish coziness/happiness), explaining how to incorporate this feeling of coziness into one's daily routine. Focusing on the moment, ensuring physical comfort, and attending to loved ones are the essential aspects, and the author makes suggestions on how to accomplish them in various settings and relationships. (I found it worth noting that there is a disclaimer at the start of the book, stating that Thoresen is not an expert on hygge.) 

I had a mixed reaction to this book, likely due to my reason for reading. Some of the suggestions that the author makes assume a critical tone, for example: "When is the last time you...thanked [someone] for opening the door?" Or this one: "You should work hard together to remove the economic strife that causes problems in your marriage." Decluttering is also strongly advised, so that one will "not worry about stepping on something or having something fall on you." I do not have the impression of my life that these remarks imply. 

At times, the book reads as though it had been dictated rather than written. I could imagine listening to a friend with knowledge of hygge talking the way that the book sounds. Sometimes conversations with friends can stray too far down the hypothetical path, and a few of Thoresen's theories about the hygge lifestyle seemed a bit far fetched, such as avoiding a friend "who always freaks you out" with "immoral shenanigans," or creating a vision board with images of one's goals. Other suggestions seem nice at first, such as getting a dog or a new job, but not necessarily realistic or feasible.  And finally, the ebook I read had multiple typos, interrupting the flow of the narration.

From this book, I learned the basics of hygge, and I think that the author would heartily approve of the manner in which I read it: next to my husband on the couch, under a blanket, with candles flickering nearby, and snow falling outside.  It was also entertaining to read one author's personal take on living out hygge on a daily basis, not just adding a blanket and nixing the high heels, but also setting up a closet for comfort and planning a menu. I found the tone and the typos a bit challenging, in what was an otherwise enjoyable read on an appealing subject.

Comments