Ada Twist, Scientist


Written by Andrea Beaty
Illustrated by David Roberts
Published in 2016

Why we chose this book:
We have already read Iggy Peck, Architect and Rosie Revere, Engineer by the same author and illustrator and love them! This was on display at our local library, so we had to get it. It exceeded our expectations.

Mom's Review

A young girl's scientific inquiries are supported by her parents.

I need to begin by stating that I love seeing intellectually strong female characters in picture books. As a child I always gravitated toward books with strong female characters, and it seems like there are so many more positive depictions of independent girls now. I am conscious of the different representations T sees in his picture books, and I hope that by presenting him with a wide range of people and situations, he won't see anyone's potential reduced because of gender or race.

And this is just a fun read. The rhymes flow (I'm ornery when I stumble over phrases not in iambic pentameter), the illustrations give a glimpse of the characters' personalities (I wish I were as stylish as Ada's mom), and the parents react realistically but also optimally (they lose patience, but cool off and throw their full support behind their daughter). A stellar book for girls or boys, and an enjoyable one for this parent!

Son's Review
(age 3 years)

Before reading:
Son, pointing to Ada on the cover: Hey, I wore goggles like those! At the Ecotarium!
(This is science museum in Worcester.)

After reading:
Mom: Did you like the book? What was your favorite part?

Son: Yeah. When she got the stink.
(Ada investigated a stinky smell.)

Mom: What was neat in this book?

Son: That it was a scientist one.

Mom: Would you want to be friends with Ada? What would you do with her?

Son: Yeah. I'd want to show her her book...show her the terrariums...I want to go to Elm Park with her.

Mom: What might she like at Elm Park? Why?

Son: The swings...the open ones...I just think she would.

Mom: Who might want to read this book?

Son: I would!

Mom: You would want to read this again?

Son: Yeah!



Comments