You Hold Me Up


Written by Monique Gray Smith
Illustrated by Danielle Daniel
Published in 2017

Why we chose this book:
This was a new book at our library, and the title and cover art caught my attention. So glad they did!

Update: I started writing this post at naptime - we had initially read the book a few days ago. Tonight he selected it as his bedtime story, totally unprompted.

Mom's Review

Examples of encouragement and support.

You Hold Me Up is a simple, powerful book. Danielle Daniel excels at illustrating the beautiful message of supporting those we love and focusing our love on the children we have. It is as much a reminder to parents as it is a lesson for children of the value in recognizing the positive impact we can have on one another. If your library has it, I'd recommend reading it!

Son's Review
(age 3 years)

T did need an explanation of what it means to "hold someone up" emotionally. Each time we read he also asked what it means to comfort someone. He read this first with me and then with his dad, and we discussed it all together.

Mom: What was this book about?

Son: They showed their love...by sharing.

Mom: Will you tell me about the book?

Son: It's called I Hold You Up.
(No, it's not. But you're close.)

Dad: What do the characters look like?

Son: People.

Dad: But did they have any special features? What did their mouths look like?

Son: Sharing...hearts.

Dad: Why did their mouths look like hearts?

Son: Because they looooove each other.

Mom: Do you do anything that the people in "I Hold You Up" do?

Son: Yeah. I love each other.

Dad: What do you share with your mommy?

Son: I share my love!

Mom: I noticed that they do lots of things together, like singing and laughing and sharing. Do you particularly like doing any of those things?

Son: Laugh - HA HA!

Mom: Is this a good book? Who's it a good book for?

Son: Yeah! G!
(He pretty consistently wants G to read all his books.)

Comments