Pete the Cat and the Cool Caterpillar


Written and Illustrated by James Dean
Published in 2018

Why we chose this book:
T recently received a Pete the Cat book at his playgroup and liked the character. When our library added this to their collection, I thought he might enjoy it.

Mom's Review:

A talking cat catches a caterpillar and waits for it to become a butterfly.

Fans of Pete will likely enjoy his new bug-hunting adventure, in which he learns about caterpillars firsthand. This is a level 1 book in the I Can Read! series and contains rudimentary facts about caterpillars. With T, this book prompted a conversation about catching bugs in the summer and a comparison to The Very Hungry Caterpillar.  It also prompted a debate over the species of Gus, one of Pete's friends. I checked the author's website just now. For the record, Gus is a platypus.

I did not have high expectations for this book; it is in the EZ reader category, like Step Into Reading books,  and the artwork does not appeal to me. I was pleasantly surprised, however, because it sparked T's curiosity about different bugs and he is now eager to borrow bug books from the library and to catch whatever he can once it warms up outside.

Son's Review
(age 2 years and 11 months)

After reading:

Mom: Did you learn anything?

Son: I learned that you should be very gentle with animals.

Mom: And what did Pete the Cat do in the book?

Son: Find bugs!

Mom: Is that something you would want to do?

Son: Yeah!

Mom: How did this book make you feel?...What made you feel that way?

Son: Happy - a spider caught bugs.

While reading:
Son: What do you think Gus is?
(Gus is one of Pete's friends. He is not a cat.)

Mom: I think Gus is a platypus.

Son: Why?

Mom: Because...
Son: I think he is a duck - he has a duck bill

Mom: That's what I thought at first, but then i looked at his tail and his body, and they look furry, more so than feathery. And his tail is big and wide, more like a platypus.

Son: I look at his feet and thought they were duck feet.

Mom: I can see why you say that. They do look like duck feet. Maybe it says on the back...oh, it doesn't....we can look it up after reading.




Comments