Hello, World! Dinosaurs


By Jill McDonald
Published in 2018

Why we chose this book:
I have been waiting and hoping for a dinosaur phase. For his birthday, T's grandparents got him a paleontologist kit from which we excavated three dinosaur fossils. I called the day we did it "Dinosaur Day" and we also read dinosaur books. He was totally into it! This was published about a week ago, and I reserved it at our library first thing. We are on our way into a dinosaur phase!

Mom and Son's Review
(son age 3 years)

Commonly known dinosaurs are introduced to the youngest audience.

This was a great fit for us. Although T is growing out of board books, he likes to be able to easily hold and turn the pages. The large text and bright colors catch his eye ("Hey, that's a red T!"), and the simple facts reinforced dinosaur knowledge he already had. We talked about all the different dinosaurs as we read, and once he found out that I didn't like velociraptors (how could I after Jurassic Park?), he had fun turning back to that page to tease me!

While reading:
Son, pointing to tools: I have a little brush and a little this and a little measuring tape and a smoother!

Mom, reading: Dinosaur bones are found by paleontologists...

Son, interrupting, pointing: That's a paleontologist!

Son, pointing to ankylosaurus: Is this the one you don't like?

Mom: No, this is my favorite. I don't like that one - velociraptor.

Mom, reading: Where did baby dinosaurs come from?

Son: These dinosaurs look cute. I would like to snuggle them...I would like to touch the eggs.

Mom: What do you think they might feel like?

Son: I don't know.

Mom, reading: Time to let out a big dinosaur roar.

Son: Nuuh! That was my cute roar!

Before bed:
Son, singing: Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs are so much fun to play with
They have fossils with them
And you can find some for your own


I would wholeheartedly recommend this book for little ones. Even the velociraptor looks friendly.



Excavating the fossils on "Dinosaur Day."










Comments